About this Show

Anderson Cooper 360

News/Business. (2013) (CC)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v759

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 15, Clinton 14, Boston 9, Cia 8, U.s. 8, Benghazi 8, Cnn 6, Obama 6, Kendrick Johnson 5, Joe Biden 5, Faa 5, Kendrick 5, Libya 4, Chris Christie 4, Harry Reid 3, John Huntsman 3, Mr. Johnson 3, Johnson 2, Massmutual 2, Lindsey Graham 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Anderson Cooper 360    News/Business.  (2013) (CC)  

    October 31, 2013
    10:00 - 11:00pm PDT  

10:00pm
how close we came to having vice president hillary clinton today. there is a game change book and the dump joe biden isn't the only one on it. electronics cleared for take off, i'll talk to the computer geek that helped make the faa change its mind about in flight electronics. a newly discovered tunnel that carries drugs into the united states by the ton. we begin with breaking news. inside the reporting that political correspondents kill for and they did it with the blockbuster game change and done it again.
10:01pm
the new book is called "double down, game change 2012" and loaded with details how the obama campaign explained dumping joe biden and reed got the idea reid didn't pay income tax and more. the book doesn't come out until next week but jonathan martin has all the incite details and joins us now. it's fascinating on your reporting in this. how serious were they looking into having hillary clinton be the vice president? >> it was serious, not that it was intentionally polled and focused grouped. campaigns don't spend the money unless they are seriously exploring something. it was only known but about a half dozen of the top obama senior advisors, people like david axle rod and most notably the chief of staff william daily, then chief of staff who became close to joe biden. they are similar age, similar background. >> similar background. you talked to him?
10:02pm
>> i talked to him on the phone and he confirmed saying he thought it was his due diligence as chief of staff to explain the possibility of what she would mean for obama in 201. they concluded she wouldn't add a substantial effect, she would help but not enough to dump biden. >> so a bump but not big enough to justify the whole drama -- >> that was their conclusion at the end of 2011, correct. >> there is also in the book details about the relationship between president obama and former president clinton and president obama said he likes clinton quote in small doses? >> right, they were playing golf between the two warring camps, finally making peace and obama came off the course and turns to an aid and says i like him, in doses. i think that sort of captured
10:03pm
obama's wariness. they are going to a fundraiser and president clinton and president obama are waiting in the limbo to go in and president clinton is telling a story and president obama is reaching for the door to get out and president clinton wants to keep telling him that participant of the story and they get to the event, they are scheduled to have dinner, clinton and obama, one on one and president obama grabs some staff because he wants cover and the whole meal talks about kids and families because he can't deal with president clinton for hours at a time. >> that's interesting. >> what is interesting, is ult ult myly president obama comes around and sees his talent and comes to rely on him not just for a big sure jit and as we know, president clinton was a key sure jet for president obama and after that terrible first day president obama had in
10:04pm
denver, president obama and clinton are at a big fundraiser at jeffrey's house in beverly hills and the two of them, obama and clinton walk off together, go to the front porch and clinton counsels obama how to recover from the debate. so not only was clinton a big ally on the stump but became a friend, and the first person, by the way, the first person that obama called on election night after hear rg from romney, bill clinton. >> really? >> yeah. >> that's interesting. i want to bring in our chief political correspondent candy corely. as much as they might not have cared for him, he realized he needed him. >> that happens a lot in politics. bitter rivalries and throughout the first campaign, you can count bill clinton being one of the biggest rivals of barack obama, didn't think he was ready for it and thought his wife
10:05pm
hillary clinton was ready for it. we had heard rumors through that time that johnson is talking about that oh, maybe the president will replace joe biden with hillary clinton. in fact, i think hillary clinton is probably on the record being asked about it because i have a vague memory -- >> she is. >> the president's numbers were down. you know, all of that kind of thing and i got to thinking today reading jonathan's article about this book that probably one of the happiest people today is hillary clinton for them deciding not to put her on the ticket or ask her to be on it because he's in roughly the same position poll-wise as the time they were looking around. let me ask jonathan -- >> of course. >> do you get any sense that the president knew that his staff was polling and doing focus groups on hillary clinton? >> well, i asked that very questioned to, candy, as you may imagine to the former chief of
10:06pm
staff to president obama. he said he didn't think the president was aware, that it was about a half dozen top aids, but he was not sure 100% at least that president obama knew. he said it's possible that obama knew, but he wasn't positive. in the book they don't have that nailed down 100%, either. so this seems to be the short of high command president obama's white house and campaign, really rough poll numbers. keep in mind in the fall of 2011, president obama's numbers were plunging south and so i think they were looking around figuring out how to change things. >> so you think president obama didn't know? >> possibly. >> joe biden didn't know. >> there is interesting details you revealed in this book on the republican side. mitt romney considering chris christie and the reasons it didn't go further. >> twice. he had him on the first list and crosses his name off because
10:07pm
he's leaning toward paul ryan and his top advisor is making a case for chris christie and feeding him video so romney comes to reconsider chris christie and at the very last minute the romney campaign does this crash vetting of chritie and the pay-to-play restrictions in jersey what governors can and can't raise and because of the unanswered questions about christi's background they can't make the pick. book has this campaign memo from the romney campaign vetters quoted at length here are the unanswered questions we don't know about chris christie. if we pick him after the fact, we should figure out abcd and e. i think in the end there were so many questions about him. ryan was seen as a safer pick. >> also, jonathan, there is information about where harry
10:08pm
reid got that idea that mitt romney hadn't paid taxes for ten years. >> your viewers will recall last year or last summer, actually, harry reid was having great fun for a long time floating this notion with no evidence, by the way, that mitt romney hadn't paid taxes in ten years. turns out it was john huntsman senior, the father of one of romney's rivals and they are long-time rivals, by the way. both families are royalty, deep roots in utah but they were for row shows rivals during the campaign and romney, huntsman himself wanted to run them and huntsman dad wanted him to run them. they have a decade long rivalry communating in the campaign. romney beats hunts man and then flash forward to later in the election during the summer and huntsman senior, apparently, is spreading dirt to harry reid about romney. >> candy, i know you have a question. >> i want to ask a couple things.
10:09pm
first of all, the christie pick and looking at him seriously, we were reporting it wasn't something he wanted to do. is there anything in the book about that and the other thing that strikes me is the person that comes up the worst overall here is probably john huntsman because he seems to have really ticked off both sides. >> your first question, i think christi was certainly interested, not enough i don't think to resign the governorship because that was talked about, actually, because of those pay-to-play restrictions i'm referring to in jersey what governors can and can't raise from wall street. he was certainly interested enough at being vice president that he turned over some documents, you know, that did offer that. your second question, candy, is absolutely right on. the chapter on john huntsman in this book reminds me of the reporting in the first book on john edwards, devastating on hunts man, his family and also
10:10pm
the campaign. it's just a ton of stuff there. >> sounds like a fascinating book. look forward to it. jonathan, candy, as well, let us know what you think on twitter at anderson cooper. more breaking news into the investigation of benghazi attack that cost four american's lives and keeping witnesses from talking. they seem to be getting the testimony they want. later, authorities say kendrick johnson climbed into a high school gym mat and died there. his parents say he was murdered and federal investigators are getting involved.
10:11pm
10:12pm
the recent increase in cafeteria prices is not cool. when you vote for flo, we'll have discounts. ice-cream discounts. multi-cookie discounts. pizza loyalty discounts! [ kids chanting "flo!" ] i also have some great ideas on car insurance. [ silence ] finding you discounts since back in the day. call or click today. i like her.
10:13pm
10:14pm
more breaking news in an exclusive, comes after a year that killed four americans in benghazi libya. they have been gathering testimony from survivors, a number who are reportedly secret operatives. lindsey graham threatened to hold up nominees for the survey vie r until provided. congress is about to compel some of them to testify. >> reporter: cnn learned a house intelligence subcommittee is scheduled to hear from cia security officers in ben goz sow who are expected to tell a much more detailed story on what went on the night ambassador chris stevens and three others were killed in a terrorist attack.
10:15pm
the men described by sources as former navy seals, tomorrower army special forces and marines under contract to guard cia agents on the ground. the security officers were among those who responded when ambassador steven's compound was attacked on the night of september 11th. sources tell cnn they will appear behind closed doors in classified congressional hearing the week of november 11. members of congress have been trying to get access to them and to other actual cia agents, but as cnn has been reporting, those attempts at least to date have failed. sources tell cnn only one cia operative who was in benghazi during the attacks has gone before the house intelligence committee. frustrated congressman told cnn they have been unsatisfied with the investigation so far conducted by house committee chairman mike rogers. rogers' staffs tells cnn the exhaustive review is nine full
10:16pm
committee hearings, round table conditions with officials and interim report that the investigation continues. but still, according to sources, only one of the estimated nearly two dozen cia operatives on the ground has testified before members of congress. fred burten, a former state department diplomatic security agent has written a book about the benghazi attack turned into an hbo movie. >> congress, as well as the agency are going out of their way to protect whatever it was that they were doing operationally in libya. >> reporter: sources say the cia has been trying to keep employees quiet. cnn reported earlier that some operatives involved in the agency's missions in libya complained they had been subjected to frequent, even monthly polygraph examinations to figure out if they spoke to congress or the media according to sources with deep inside knowledge of the agency's
10:17pm
workings. the cia says this is false telling cnn not a single cia officer who was on the ground in benghazi during the attacks was subjected to any cia polygraph intended to discourage them from speaking to congress or as a retaliation adding that to date, some of these officers have already spoken to the oversight committees on benghazi. cnn heard from men unconvinced they are getting the whole truth. one congressman says on condition of an themty, we know what the cia tells us they were doing in libya, but it is unclear if we really know what the agency was up to. >> drew griffin joins me. we're trying to get answers ourselves what happened in benghazi because there are so many unanswered questions. >> the members of congress doesn't want this information filtered which is what you get. they want them straight from the participants, whats the cia doing in laby? there are allegations the ci
10:18pm
arks was operating a gun running program with guns going from libya to syria rebels. an official says that's not true, saying u.s. officials in benghazi in no way were involved in syria or any other conflict zone before or after the attack. the second question, what are the details of the failed rescue attempts, what the family members want to know. we heard a group of would be rescuers at the cia annex were armed and ready to go within minutes of the attack, four minutes quite frankly. they were held off until finally they on their own decided to stage a rescue. congressman want to know why the wait and finally, that over hanging political question did administration know immediately this was a planned terrorist attack and if so, why did administration officials try to first claim it was a spontaneous riot surrounding an anti-muslim movie. that's what they have been
10:19pm
telling us, they want to get answered and they may get them in the next few weeks. >> all right, drew. appreciate the reporting. in audition to being poll lit sized, it has a core of facts and for people like one of our guests tonight deeply personal and terribly sad. candy is with us and also with us tonight is patricia smith, whose son sean was one of the four men killed and we'll be joined by bob bear. candy, let me start with you. republicans want more answers, more transparency, are they being stone walled the way they say they are, or is politics involved here? is going on? >> yes and yes in this way. lindsey graham and others, mcrogers are pushing for more testimony and as drew pointed out, more direct testimony without cia's official version
10:20pm
so they can put together pieces and questions like you just asked they feel they haven't had. is there politics involved? this is an election season. of course, if you just can't separate the two, the policy is the politics and the politics is the policy. they believe that there were serious problems in benghazi, that even if there was something that could not prevent when initially happened that certainly was covered up afterwards, they truly believe this and want to talk to folks. now the cia has been very reluctant to give them active cia members. when you heard drew's report, everything he said about people coming up had a former in front of it. >> right. >> which is easier. having said that, that you still have the mother of one of those who died not feeling that her questions have been answered, really tells us what the story is about in the end and that's a deeply personal tragedy. >> patricia, i mean, what answers do you want at this point? have you been given any answers
10:21pm
that are acceptable to you? >> i have been given no answers whatsoever. i have begged and pleaded, please tell me what happened with my son, and i've been told nothing. in fact, i've been treated like dirt. they walked out on me and -- in the hearing. >> is there some -- a specific piece of information that you -- that you want above all else? i mean, obviously, you lost your son in this. this is intensely personal. do you even know the details of how your son was killed? >> i picked it up in bits and pieces on my own. i don't know if they are correct. they haven't -- like i said, i got it from all different sources because nobody in the government would tell me anything. so i got it from the internet. i got it from the people i talked to. i got it from all different kind of plapss and put it together until i found something that i half way believe, but not from the government.
10:22pm
>> candy, you know, bob bear who i think we're having trouble establishing contact with, you know, we talked to him before about this and an active cia officers, undercover cia officers can testify -- i mean, can, there are ways to do it that they won't be exposed if they appear in front of members of congress. there is a secure room, i believe, they can go to. there is, you know, transcripts that can be redacted. there are ways to do that. >> there have been ways in the past. the intelligence community, as you can imagine, is reluctant to do that for active cia members. talking to one today after a conversation i had about this, he said here is the problem. we can't take any chances, and take an undercover agent who has testified before congress and then put them back where they were before in another country. they almost have to retire. they agreed with that assumption. what happens with the
10:23pm
republicans and in fact many democrats is when you use the sources and methods, oh, if he told you this, you would know too much -- >> right. >> they think that runs old on the republican side. >> we just got bob in, bob, you were an undercover officer with the cia for many, many years. can you testify and still be an undercover officer, still not have your cover blown? >> oh, absolutely. i was called up multiple times to the hill both before the house and senate. i went to a room called a skiff where you can't bucket. the transcripts were kept by one person. yes, operatives can do it and they should do it in this case, and congress can protect their identity and there is only one case i've ever seen the name leak out of a hearing and that was a long time ago and it was really special circumstances. i don't understand why they can't be brought up. >> bob, one argument that folks in the administration make or the state department make is
10:24pm
there is an active criminal investigation going on and testimony by individual cia undercover officers could complicate that, do you buy that? >> i don't buy it at all because the cia officers wouldn't testify in a trial in any case. they would send in a stipulation of fact on a piece of paper, that's the way it's done. i don't buy that at all and in audition, the cia is not being investigated but people that attack the consulate. i'm not clear why there is reluctance going on unless they are afraid to hear what they have to say. >> bob, appreciate you joining us and candy and mrs. smith, appreciate your time and sorry for your loss. the moment kendrick johnson's parents are waiting for. federal authorities getting involved and we'll speak with a leading voice in the campaign and the campaign that will change the way you fly if you're one of the millions that fly with tablets or iphones or ipods. i started part-time, now i'm a manager.n.
10:25pm
my employer matches my charitable giving. really. i get bonuses even working part-time. where i work, over 400 people are promoted every day. healthcare starting under $40 a month. i got education benefits. i work at walmart. i'm a pharmacist. sales associate. i manage produce. i work in logistics. there's more to walmart than you think. vo: opportunity. that's the real walmart. but it doesn't usually work that way with health care. with unitedhealthcare, i get information on quality rated doctors, treatment options and cost estimates, so we can make better health decisions. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare.
10:26pm
man: sometimes it's like we're still in college. but with a mortgage. and the furniture's a lot nicer. and suddenly, the most important person in my life is someone i haven't even met yet. who matters most to you says the most about you. at massmutual we're owned by our policyowners, and they matter most to us. as you plan your next step, we'll help you get there.
10:27pm
[s[man] no one told her,right?a. [son]hi! [mom screams]
10:28pm
crime and punishment tonight, a parent bury sg child is not the way nature is supposed to work and unimaginable when the childest death is a mystery or tangled in controversy. the parents of kendrick johnson have been living that nightmare since their 17-year-old son was found dead in the gym back in january. they were told it was an accident. they refuse to believe that and developments since then deepened the doubts. today the search for answers got a big boost. the launch of a federal investigation by the u.s. attorney in that region of georgia. victor blackwell was there when they heard the news. >> reporter: huddled around a
10:29pm
portable television where they staged an eight-month sit in the family of kendrick johnson watched the announcement they have been waiting for. >> i'm of the opinion my office will conduct a formal review of the facts and investigation surrounding the death of kendrick johnson. >> hallelujah, thank you jesus. >> thank you jesus. >> reporter: the second big victory for his family. they were ordered to hand over the full investigative file including the surveillance video. barbara english is his grandmother. >> i'm so happy and i know we trust in the lord and we hadn't been down here rallying for 3 two weeks for nothing. >> reporter: michael moore called in the fbi to assist his office in the investigation and to get answers to several basic questions in the teen's january death. >> first, what was the cause of mr. johnson's death? second, was mr. johnson's death the result of a crime? third, if mr. johnson's death was the result of a crime, who committed that crime?
10:30pm
>> reporter: kendrick's parents never believed the local sheriffs explanation kendrick suffocated after squeezing his 19-inch shoulders into the 14-inch opening of a gym mat to reach his shoe in the middle of a school day. they spoke with wolf blitzer moments after the announcement. >> i believe indeed that he was murdered. >> do you have any idea who may have murdered him? >> no, i don't. that's what we want to get down to the truth. >> the only question we want to know is why are they covering up for who killed their son. >> reporter: it made the johnsons suspicious, including why these shoes found yards from kendrick's body were not collected as evidence and how this bloodstain ended up on the whole wal and why they never found whose blood it was and the state's autopsy. the official cause of death was
10:31pm
positional asphyxia, kendrick was suffocated by his body weight but a second autopsy paid for by the johnsons shows he died from blunt force trama, a blow to the neck. hundreds have rallied for months for answers and moore says he's received calls from manyson supporters. >> i appreciate the depth of those concerns, but at this time, what we need are people with facts and knowledge surrendering the circumstances for mr. johnson's death to present them to us. >> reporter: while sheriff prien has every confidence his officers investigation was handled with the necessary diligence to make sure all leads were examined and exhausted, he welcomes the u.s. attorneys' further review of the case. >> justice for kj is coming. >> reporter: his family is grateful but call it a stepping stone.
10:32pm
they say their push for answers will continue. >> got to continue to fight on because justice is done for kj. >> victor blackwell joins us. the johnsons sued for a coroner's inquest. where does that stand? >> reporter: anderson, this case could go to no official investigation to two in days you mention that lawsuit to get the coroner to investigate this. it's a panel of six people in the community who listened to testimony, look add evidence and determine if that is change on the death certificate from accidental to homicide. well, we know that the coroner says he will make a decision on that inquest in the next few days. he say as day or so with an emphasis on the or so and it's important if a jury changes the cause of death from accidental, which it is now on the death certificate, to homicide, that's forwarded to the district attorney and that would open a local investigation to find the person responsible for that, and
10:33pm
that would run parallel to the investigation that's happening from the district -- from the department of justice, rather. anderson. >> i want to bring in jeffrey to be and criminal defense attorney mark geragos. what is the significance of what the federal government did today? >> it's a new set of eyes and you'll have fbi agents looking at the available evidence, perhaps forensic scientists looking at what they can look at but the problem is it's been almost a year since kendrick died sbl and the evidence collected already has been collected and the evidence that's not been collected is not. >> there is no way of undoing that and going back to the gym and getting the sneakers and testing the blood on the wall. they will do their best but i don't think anyone should get their hopes up there is going to be a dramatic break in the case. given the fact so much time has passed. >> mark, the u.s. attorney said himself that federal jurisdiction is limited.
10:34pm
what exactly does that mean? >> well, it's limited in the sense they don't have -- you're not going to bring a traditional murder case. you may have the violation of someone's rights, things like that and it's one of the few times that i actually agree with toobin. this is a hard case to have somebody revisit a year after the fact forensically if they change the opinion of what happened before. i've been in that situation before and that's just an incredible amount for a defense lawyer if someone changes their opinion after this time lapse. >> there is so many bizarre thinks about this case, though. not to mention what happened to this young man's body, you know, it was disinterred and found the organs were removed and stuffed with paper. >> that is certainly grounds for an investigation for the funeral home that treated his body in such a horrible way.
10:35pm
that's yet, another thing that will make the criminal investigation more difficult because you don't have the organs which could help with issues of time and cause of death and the body treated in such a way it's very hard to imagine there will be useful evidence gathered from it. >> and mark, the u.s. attorney still has to determine if there is sufficient information to warrant criminal or civil rights charges. if something criminal happened, is it a guarantee something could be charged federally? >> no, that's part of the problem. that limitation you refer to before, they have specific areas they can get into and you know, when you've got a situation like this with these bizarre kinds of body parts being removed and then you're digging it up and things like that, it's hard enough to come up with a traditional criminal case. now you're trying to fit that case into the box that the u.s. attorney is in, which is much
10:36pm
more limited than what a traditional state or county prosecutor could do. i just think it's a -- i don't think you'll see anything happen at least on the federal level. >> the good news is if the u.s. attorney finds evidence that a crime was committed, they will find someone to prosecute it. if they don't do it, they will pass the evidence to the local authorities. i'm confident if they can figure out a crime happened, someone will be prosecuted -- >> this prior family who basically had a vigil outside for the last year six days a week. >> it succeeded in keeping the case alive. >> absolutely. sometimes that the the only way you can get action in this case. >> mark, appreciate you being with us and jeff toobin as well. the man an the faa's shift, he is getting them to relax rules. i'll talk to him ahead and if you go on a flight if you can use an ipad or iphone. and a drug tunnel so sophisticated, you have to see it to believe it.
10:37pm
10:38pm
10:39pm
♪ humans -- even when we cross our "t's" and dot our "i's," we still run into problems. that's why liberty mutual insurance offers accident forgiveness with our auto policies. if you qualify, your rates won't go up due to your first accident. because making mistakes is only human, and so are we. we also offer new car replacement,
10:40pm
so if you total your new car, we give you the money for a new one. call liberty mutual insurance at... and ask us all about our auto features, like guaranteed repairs, where if you get into an accident and use one of our certified repair shops, your repairs are guaranteed for life. so call... to talk with an insurance expert about everything that comes standard with our base auto policy. and if you switch, you could save up to $423. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? today, countless travelers got the news they have been waiting for. they will soon be able to use tablets and portable electronic devices before talk offs and landings, making calls on cell phones will be prohibited. it's based on a committee to evaluate the issues but those credited for changing it and
10:41pm
technology columnist, nick has been on a crusade. congratulations. >> thank you. >> thank you very much. did you have any idea it would get the rules changed? >> no, i just didn't understand why the rule existed. i had been flying for many years and done electrical engineering work and i kept looking at the kindle and it's essentially a glorified calculator and i said why can't we use these devices on a plane? so i began questioning the faa and we went through a series of back and forths and at one point we went down to a testing facility and found out that you physically actually could never fit enough kindles on a plane to harm it and so that's happened. >> so what will change? you can't make a cell phone call because that would frankly drive everybody bananas, i'm all for
10:42pm
that. >> can you imagine sitting next to a 14-year-old who is like this the whole time on a flight? that will not happen. in the next few weeks you'll see certain airlines that allow this but you'll get on a plane and you won't hear the turn off divisions for take off and landing but turn them into airplane mode and you can to read a book or magazine or whatever you were doing on your devices. >> but things like sending texts you can't do, you have to have it in airplane mode. >> that you can't do. you have to turn it into airplane mode. once you're in the air and have wi-fi you can send certain things. the only way to turn it off if there is turbulence on the way down, they will ask you about 10,000 feet. >> i read the faa really had not changed the regulations in about 50 years. obviously technology changed. but what was the idea -- why was this regulation there in the first place?
10:43pm
>> it came about in 1964 and the season was the planes back then were not insulated for electronics and you had weird things, cb radios and people with these very bizarre portable televisions, and they would go on planes and bring these things with them and there was interference and interference from radar and finally interference from the television signals so the faa and groups said look, we have to protect the planes from the outside things and set up rules. ironically, one of the things that's funny is up until now, even today, you can get on a flight and use an electron raiser because that was never a banned electronics, so it was very clear when i started reporting all this stuff that if we could use an elect train raiser and we couldn't use a kindle, that there was a problem and now finally, we have that change.
10:44pm
>> nick, can you focus now on getting banned nail clippers because i've had people clipping anymore nails next to me on planes, and even toenails, which i got to say i find so disgusting? >> i think that's disgusting when anyone does it anywhere in public but i will see what i can do. we'll do some tests at nail clipping labs. >> nick, appreciate it very much. more happening tonight. susan hendrick with the 360 bull ten. >> technical experts are coming in to fix the obama care website, healthcare.gov. dozens of people will try and get the website running properly. edward snowden starting a new job in rush shaft the nsa leaker has been hired by a russian website to perform maintenance. he was granted a year-long asylum. a victory for the new york police department. a judge ruled. nypd can resume the controversial stop and frisk
10:45pm
policy while other appeals are heard. opponents say it unlawfully targets african americans and latinos. the fda reports 12% of spices imported into the u.s. are contaminated with bug parts, rodent hairs and other unappetizing materials. the report notes that 7% of spices tested were contaminated with salmonella. >> see, that's why i eat bland food, no spices. >> good thing, i may, too. >> i may do that because i'm boring. >> thanks very much. up next, a super tunnel, fascinating, a massive under ground passageway used to smuggle drugs. we'll take you inside this tunnel. of providing a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere. if you look at a khan academy video, they cover everything from basic arithmetic to calculus, trigonometry, finance. you can really just get what you need at your own pace. and so, bank of america came and reached out to us and said, "we are really interested in making sure
10:46pm
that everyone really understands personal finance." we're like, "well, we're already doing that." and so it was kind of a perfect match. medicare part d plan did you know that if you enroll in a where walmart is a preferred pharmacy, you could save up to 80% on your co-pays over other pharmacies? this could lower your prescription co-pays to as low as a dollar so you can enjoy the things that really matter. and now that we're a preferred pharmacy for many national plans, it's never been easier to save.
10:47pm
choose any plan where walmart is a preferred pharmacy provider by logging on to walmart.com/rxplans now through december 7th. save money. live better. walmart. as your life and career change, fidelity is there for your personal economy, helping you readjust your retirement plan along the way, rethink how you're invested, and refocus as your career moves forward. wherever you are today, a fidelity i.r.a. has a wide range of investment choices to help you fine-tune your personal economy. call today, and we'll make it easy to move that old 401(k) to a fidelity i.r.a. are you flo? yes. is this the thing you gave my husband? well, yeah, yes. the "name your price" tool. you tell us the price you want to pay, and we give you a range of options to choose from. careful, though -- that kind of power can go to your head. that explains a lot. yo, buddy!
10:48pm
i got this. gimme one, gimme one, gimme one! the power of the "name your price" tool. only from progressive.
10:49pm
three people in custody after investigators seized 325 pounds of cocaine and 8 tons of marijuana after the discovery of an under ground tunnel between san diego and mexico. these are enormous operations, i went into a tunnel along the united states, mexico border before. they can be pretty elaborate. take a look. this is the motor works for an elevator, it's a primitive elevator but they brought it down here. this is the elevator itself.
10:50pm
it's basically a large cart on wheels and we'll take you down and show you what happens now. you really get a sense when you do down in the tunnel the amount of work it took to build this. look, you can really see the boar marks used to tunnel deep under ground and must have made a lot of noise. this is solid rock here that they are -- that they are digging through and they use clearly heavy machinery. this is all jackhammers, mining equipment. we're now 90 feet deep and there is an electrical system in place, plugs here. there is an electrical box. there is still the ventilation system, lights still -- whoa, the lights work and phones are even this deep under ground. what is remarkable about this tunnel, according to authorities is check out the walls.
10:51pm
they put cinder block so they invested a lot of time and money, perhaps more than a million dollars, maybe $2 million and might have taken as much as a year. i've been in two of the sophisticated tunnels and never seen cinder block walls like that. >> those two separate tuns in 2009 and 2010. the tunnel they found in san diego they call a super tunnel. you left the press conference where they explained what they found. >> reporter: in audition to the cocaine and marijuana they found in there, they found a tunnel that was not quite as sophisticated as the one you were in. it shows them going down a ladder. may have been more if they didn't bust it. there was an electric rail way, lighting, ventilation, clearly a
10:52pm
very big tunnel and had it been operational, and investigators are quick to point out they busted it before it was operational. if it was operational they would have moved tons and tons of drugs through that tunnel. >> how was it discovered? >> reporter: through a source that they are not naming tipped off investigators that this tunnel was being built. they then set up an operation where they watched this location. they watched some drugs being moved to chula vista, california. they busted them and traced them back to here. the one thing amazing to this tunnel, 600 yards to the mexican border and the other side a warehouse and this one is right next to the mesa chamber of commerce. so these tunnel makers dug it all the way right here to this
10:53pm
location. they said it zigzagged a bit but hit their spot right in the place where nobody would have expected it. >> one of the ones i had had an exit or entrance had a hydraulic floor underneath a toilet, an entire false floor that would rise and lower. do they know which cartel was involved in this tunnel? >> reporter: they are saying it significant they found cocaine and the first time they have found cocaine in one of these tunnels. the investigators show the desperation on the part of cartels. they are bringing it over the boarder in ultra light aircraft and under the border and bringing it around -- by ocean as well. so they are trying to send a signal if they bring it any of those ways, they will be busted. >> thanks. score one for the people of boston, a look at the world series win and what it means for the city when we continue.
10:54pm
i got this. [thinking] is it that time? the son picks up the check? [thinking] i'm still working. he's retired. i hope he's saving. i hope he saved enough. who matters most to you says the most about you. at massmutual we're owned by our policyowners, and they matter most to us. whether you're just starting your 401(k) or you are ready for retirement,
10:55pm
we'll help you get there.
10:56pm
10:57pm
time now for "the ridiculist." tonight i'll talk about the world series. this may come as a shock but i'm not exactly what you call a huge sports fan. for the last few weeks when i heard people talk about big pappi, i thought they were talking about kim's sugar daddy from real housewives atlanta. >> when i want something pricey or expensive i call big papa i
10:58pm
do, i just ask him. big papa still has a piece of my heart. >> step up to the plate. that's a baseball thing, right? anyway, so i don't know that much about baseball. it's a fact. i'm not going to pretend. here is another fact, i know a little bit about the people of boston. i was there six months ago and met survivors, people in grief andist been about healing. today it's about celebrating and a whole lot more than just baseball. >> again, our beloved red sox have become world champions. proving that boston never quits. >> while this team can't bring back the lives we lost or heal the wounds inflicted, it did what no other team besides the red sox can do, it reaffirmed our common bond in massachusetts in new england and with red sox nation fans everywhere. >> even if you're not a red sox fan you have to say it's a wonderful thing for the city of
10:59pm
boston and the fans there after everything they have been through. >> so that's about as jubilant as you'll see the political types get. you got to go to boston. >> it hasn't happened at fenway park for 95 years. the red sox are world champions. [ cheers ] >> the way the team came together is literally reflective of the way the city came together and it's amazing, and i'm so glad to be participant of red sox nation. >> everybody is out. everybody is excited. everybody is united. >> boston strong. >> awesome. boston strong. everyone on the team. >> this is for you, boston. >> so to the red sox and the people of boston and all of us like people like me that don't know the difference between the
11:00pm
strike zone and twilight zone, congratulations, although i'm not that bad. so good to see you smile, incredibly, completely ridiculously good. orange county fire rescue? >> 6600 sea harbor drive. seaworld stadium. >> okay. >> we actually have a trainer in the water with one of our whales, the whale they aren't supposed to be in the water with. >> okay. we'll get somebody en route.